Bernard Hoy, the son of Bernard Hoy, County Antrim, Ireland, was born in 1803 in the town of Dundalk, County Louth, Ireland. He had one sister named Bridget. Bernard was a “loom boss” in Ireland before he moved to England in 1821 where he married Sarah Curry, a widow, on 14 February 1831 in Manchester, Lancashire, England. In November 1841, Bernard brought his family to America — probably through New York — and settled in Norristown, PA, near Philadelphia. Bernard became a naturalized citizen on 11 September 1848.
Bernard bought property in Valley Forge, Schuylkill Township, Chester County, PA, in 1850. This property included a tavern and 74 acres 9 perches of land; Bernard engaged in both farming and the hotel business. He probably continued to run both the farm and hotel until his death on 28 November 1858. Sarah continued to run the farm until at least 1860 with the help of her oldest sons, Thomas and James. The tavern Bernard purchased was the Valley Forge Inn (later renamed the Mansion House). This property is now part of the Valley Forge National Historic Park; the Mansion House is now designated as the Von Steuben Headquarters. This property remained in the Hoy family until about 1900 when it was sold by Bernard’s son John.
Bernard is buried at St. Mary’s Cemetery in Phoenixville. Sarah died on 20 March 1879 in Valley Forge and was buried in Phoenixville — probably also at St. Mary’s Cemetery.
This site contains information on the descendents of Bernard and Sarah Curry Hoy.